Saturday, March 29, 2008

Starting is the Hardest Part...

Where's the beef??? Thought I'd share a pic that I came across as I was looking for ahem..."inspiration" for my male character in the book I'm starting. I know I promised a blurb and a little info about it, but I'm still hacking away at it.

But, here's a few words that have been included in my hashing out of this new story.....(prepare yourself, lol)....slave, shades, shadows, vampire, harbinger, Tyr, Mythology, Norse, witch and Creole. Stunning, isn't it? And that covers maybe half of the descriptive words I could use, lol.

Now, I know (or hope) that when I finally work up the nerve to get past the second page and to give the plotting a rest, I'll be good to go. I finished Bayou Summons (which was 75,000 words) in a week. Because that's how it goes for me....if it takes me too long to write, I move on to something else, because I feel that if the concept doesn't grab me enough for me to obsess until I finish it, well, then I think it might not be such a great concept. If I, as the writer, am not completely engaged by it, then the reader won't be either.

I do think I have a pretty good concept and as long as I can flow the romance and antagonist in there smoothly, it might be something I'm quite proud of when I'm done. Fingers crossed, toes crossed and praying.................

1 comment:

Debra Moore said...

First of all I have to say that your site is absolutely beautiful. I don't know who I'm more in awe of, geeks or designers. I love both equally! (And sadly, am neither myself.)

Secondly, I love the idea that I should give up on a story because it's not flowing. I have considered this a lot as of late because the story I'm working on is leaving me hairless. I've wanted so much to throw it away that I can't begin to describe the overwhelming desire!!

Sadly, it must be the muleheadedness in me...I just can't make myself throw in the towel yet. The dream that it will turn out wonderfully is still alive. And I soldier on...

Best of everything to you!
Deb